Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Oprah insight

I watched Oprah yesterday (because Ellen was a re-run) and it was all about being a mommy. They discussed all kinds of things we deal with as mommies- for example the constant debate of working or staying at home, relations with your husband after kids, feelings of regret or guilt that we put on ourselves as moms, etc.
It was very insightful and true. Basically all of us have doubts and worries when it comes to being a mom and a wife. We worry about fufilling our husband- they need relations to communicate and we need to communicate to have relations and this gets hard after having a baby. We compare ourselves to others and wonder why we can't work and be a mom while some women have it under control or stay at home and be content. We feel guilty when we take the much needed time for ourself.
This all hit home for me, and it made me feel good that there are so many women stuggling with the same issues. I have always been an open person, but there are definite struggles I have had that have made me wonder if I was the only one.
We are all so different and we are all the best moms we can be to our babies. What works for one mom doesn't work for another. I have seen this played out with my family and friends as well. But be encouraged mommy readers- you are doing a great job and you aren't the only one with struggles!

9 comments:

Greg and Laurel said...

You are not alone. I am sure I will struggle with the same issues once I am a working mommy. I think you are doing great. I want to be just like you someday!

Nicole said...

What a good post! We all doubt ourselves from time to time and just need someone to tell us that we are doing a good job. I don't think anyone has any idea how many things change once you become a mother.

Brooke said...

I like your post Ash. Sometimes Oprah does have good insights! Just like you said, what works for one mom may not work for another. We are all different and most definitely have our struggles!

Mama Smors said...

loved this post!! it is all so true... i think we are hardest on ourselves. love the new happy baby pic of brayden :)

Anonymous said...

I love the new picture of our happy boy!! He is such a cutie. Mom

Greg and Laurel said...

I just noticed, you spelled "Oprah" like "Opera". LOL! I was like, wait a minute, what is Ashley doing writing about the opera...she doesn't like the opera. Even though I had already read it and not noticed the first time, I was just thinking, when did the Becketts go to the opera and what on earth could she have written about it? And to think you teach spelling to those poor little kids. I'm just teasing you...

Brooke said...

haha... I noticed it but didn't want to say anything! I do stuff like that all the time on Facebook :)

Ashley said...

haha thanks laurel!

Lauren said...

Great post. I totally agree that there is so much stress with being a mom and wife, let alone a working woman! It is so easy to do the comparison game. You are a great mom to Brayden. He is a happy and healthy little guy!

Family on Christmas

Family on Christmas
Merry Christmas

Spiky hair

Spiky hair
All dolled up for Christmas in Ohio

My little Santa

My little Santa
Ho Ho Ho!

Happy boy

Happy boy
On the way to church

Mostly about Brayden and Keaton, and the Beckett family! :)